Have you ever noticed that certain songs can take you back to a particular place or time in your life the instant they begin to play? For me, it goes even further than that. Certain songs become stories in my head—to the point that every time I hear those particular songs, I remember the stories they inspired.
So I thought it would be fun to create a playlist of songs to pair with the chapters of Be It Ever So Humble. Some of these songs convey the exact feelings the characters are having during a given scene, and some convey a general emotional theme. I’ve broken down which songs fit which chapters below, and at the bottom, you can listen to the playlist yourself!
SONGS BY CHAPTER
- MAKE OVER by Christina Aguliera [Explicit]
- FAMILY IS FAMILY by Kacey Musgraves
- HOME SWEET HOME by Mötley Crüe
- HIGH HORSE by Kacey Musgraves
- BYE BYE BYE by *N Sync
- WORKIN’ FOR A LIVIN’ by Garth Brooks and Huey Lewis & The News *
- YOU BELONG WITH ME by Taylor Swift
- WRECKING BALL by Miley Cyrus
- UPSIDE DOWN by Jack Johnson
- GOLDEN GIRLS THEME SONG (THANK YOU FOR BEING A FRIEND) by Bobby Bones and the Raging Idiots
- RUNAWAY BABY by Bruno Mars
- BETTER TOGETHER by Luke Combs
- DYING IN LA by Panic! At the Disco
- YOU DON’T KNOW HOW IT FEELS by Tom Petty
- CRY PRETTY by Carrie Underwood
- TORN by Natalie Imbruglia
- STRONG ENOUGH by Sheryl Crow
- TAKE IT EASY by Eagles
- DREAM A LITTLE DREAM OF ME by The Mamas & The Papas
- I’M YOURS by Jason Mraz
- STRAWBERRY WINE by Deana Carter
- ZERO TO SIXTY by Rachel Potter / THERE’S NO HOME FOR YOU HERE by The White Stripes
- JUST FRIENDS by Caylee Hammack
- BREATHE by by Greenwheel
- I STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR by U2
- BECAUSE OF YOU by Kelly Clarkson
- JADED by Aerosmith
- WOMAN by Kesha (feat. The Dap-Kings Horns) [Explicit] / STARTING OVER by Chris Stapleton
*I prefer the duet version with Garth Brooks for this, but it isn’t available on Spotify. You can find it on Amazon Music Unlimited, though, if you want to create your own playlist there.
Check out the playlist on Spotify!
If you’ve read Be It Ever So Humble, how’d I do? Any songs you think should be added to the playlist?